There are certain taxes on the property which are paid only once. But, Property tax is one recurring charge which the home owners need to pay every year. This amount of this payable tax varies from one location to the other.
For the payment of property tax in Gurugram, the guide is:
For the Residential Property owners in Gurugram, they are liable to pay the property tax every year to the MCG (i.e. Municipal Corporation of Gurugram). There is a very simple system followed by MSG for the calculation of property tax which mainly takes into account the size of property along with its use.
How to calculate property tax for a residential property in Gurugram
As mentioned earlier, the property tax payable in Gurugram is based on two factors: Area and Use (Residential/Non-Commercial/Commercial). The following guidelines are provided by the MCG to calculate property tax on residential properties
|Area (in sq yards)||Rate (in Rs per sq yard)|
|Up to 300 sq yards||Rs 1 per sq yard|
|301 to 500 sq yards||Rs 4 per sq yard|
|501 to 1,000 sq yards||Rs 6 per sq yard|
|1,001 sq yards to 2 acres||Rs 7 per sq yard|
|More than 2 acres||Rs 10 per sq yard|
Property tax on vacant land (residential):
|Plot size||Rate (in Rs per sq yard)|
|Up to 100 sq yards||Exempted|
|101-500 sq yards||Rs 0.50 per sq yard|
|501 sq yards and above||Re 1 per sq yard|
Rebates for payment of property tax
- There is a 100% rebate on the self- occupied residential houses owned by the defense/paramilitary force personnel and ex-service/ex-paramilitary force personnel or his/her spouse. This rebate can also be availed by the families of deceased soldiers/ex-servicemen/ex-central paramilitary forces personnel, with the condition that they should not own any other residential property in Haryana and are presently residing in the property and have not let out any part of the house.
- Another 100% of rebate is also given to the self occupied houses of freedom fighters or their spouse and war widows
- Owners of vacant plots of 1 acre and above which are being used for horticulture or agriculture can also avail 100% rebate.
- The property owners who clear the property tax dues within the 45 days after the notification of rates has been declared, can also avail a onetime rebate of 30%
- Those who pay the total property tax amount before July 31, are eligible for 10% rebate
Paying your property tax
You can pay your property tax conveniently on the MCG Website. The site calculates the amount of tax to be paid by you once you enter your unique Property ID number or Name and Address. Payments can be made through Internet Banking or Debit/Credit Card.
There is a self-assessment property tax form provided by MSG which includes all the guidelines and steps mentioned for the type of property and respective amount you need to pay. There are MCG’s Citizen Facilitation Centers where the property tax can be paid manually.